[asterisk-users] console/dsp and autoanswer

Bill Schaffer snowman at sem-co.com
Wed Jul 12 20:49:55 MST 2006

Hello.

I have a setup where console/dsp is connected to an overhead PA system,
and the extension is set to auto-answer.  This seems to work fine.  The
extension answers and sound comes out the headphones that are stand-ins
for the PA amp.  (I am still developing this box, it's not live yet.)

But, outside of normal business hours when we are closed, I need to
generate a ring on the overhead when a call comes in, so that anyone in
the facility can do a call-pickup on the main extension.  With the
extension set for autoanswer, this is a conflict.

I have logic for open vs closed hours, but cannot for the life of me
figure out how to change the autoanswer configuration of console/dsp
from within the dialplan.  Another option would be to simply squirt a
wavfile of a ring out the PA extension, but I haven't figured out how to
do that in the dialplan either.  Playback() seems to only send audio to
an incoming call, which has not been answered yet, and isn't the party I
want to send it to anyway.

Is there a way to achieve this in the dialplan?

Is there a way to achieve this in the dialplan... in the stock 1.2.9.1
code base?

I have made modifications to apps/app_dial.c where I can pass a flag
to Dial() to override the autoanswer setting on the channel.  This
seems to work exactly how I need it to.  But, I would prefer a more
mainstream method, rather than having to maintain a custom patch when
asterisk's version changes.

Thanks in advance,
Bill