[asterisk-users] where the bottleneck lies ? (was: Server redundancy)

Simone Cittadini mymailforlists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 09:02:18 MST 2006

unplug ha scritto:

> I feel interested about you can support 16,000 users of your system.
> As I have tested using sipp in a dual CPU Xeon with 2G Ram, the
> maximum number of current call is about 160.  In some forums, most of
> ppl claim the maximum current call is about 100-200.  What do you
> expect the number of current call to handle in 16,000 users?

I'm curious about what was limiting the number of calls in your tests.

For every system I have in production/testing I see the only bottleneck
is system load, cpu and memory usage is well beyond limits when "things
starts to fall apart". The unexplicable (at least by me) thing is that
system load seems to be only partially influenced by the number of
calls, for example sometimes there are 100/150 calls and the load is
around 0.70, sometimes it skyrockets to  2.00 / 2.50 (when it is > 2
calls quality is crippled, I think because of too many dropped packets).
I see this behaviour no matter how simple/complex the system is, from
just a terminator with a couple of digium in it and a five-lines
extension to the central server with fastagi doing mysql queries and
taking hundreds of concurrent calls in both sip and iax.
Can it be something related to asterisk itself ? I'm thinking about
installing oprofile on the various servers, someone by chance already
did it ?