[asterisk-users] New Asterisk server crashes daily

Al Lougher alougher at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 19:39:33 MST 2006

I have 969mb total mem with 780mb allocated as swap. I also checked the messages log and the logs in the log/asterisk folder and there is nothing.

  Now, I did look in the cron log file and saw this at the time of the crash (crash was at 04:02).

  Jul 11 04:02:01 asterisk1 crond[3876]: (root) CMD (run-parts /etc/cron.daily)
Jul 11 04:02:05 asterisk1 anacron[4317]: Updated timestamp for job `cron.daily' to 2006-07-11
Jul 11 08:06:54 asterisk1 crond[2407]: (CRON) STARTUP (V5.0)

  I've no idea what could be causing the crash. I guess I'll check agian when it happens again tonight.

  Thanks.

Roshan Sembacuttiaratchy <rns.asterisklist.n.semba at xoxy.net> wrote:
  On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:23:05AM -0700, Al Lougher scribbled:
> Hi -
>
> This is the first Linux server I have ever built with an
> installation of Asterisk at Home 2.7. For development I have been
> running on VMWare on an XP box and sustained no crashes or reboots.
> After moving Asterisk to it's own server I am experiencing daily
> crashses (around 4am) and I'm not quite sure what the problem is,
> nor am I sure where exactly to look for logs of any errors prior and
> during the crash. During the crash there should be nothing running
> so I'm not sure why it crashes at this time (perhaps some system job
> that is running at this time?).
>
> My hardware is: AMD Athlon 64bit 3200 CPU, 1 gig memory, 100gb hd
> and a gigabit NIC card. The BIOS is set with defaults.
>
> Many thanks,
> Al.

Your comment about it happening around 4am leads me to think it might be the
default daily-scheduled cron jobs somehow affecting you. Are you sure
you have enough swap space configured?

Roshan

--
http://roshan.info