[asterisk-users] So many configuration files!

Mike Lynchfield theclubvoip at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 12:23:13 MST 2006

larry each of these files do something for a specific needs..

hence the sip.conf is for sip related modules..

iax etc etc..

voicemail.conf if you need voicemail

res_odbc etc for any database usage..

basically read the manual and look into each files to see what they do..

asterisk will start and work without modding all of these but you could have
a surprise if a demo user is by default in sip .conf and someone uses your
system ;)

On 7/11/06, Larry Alkoff <labradley at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I'm working with Asterisk 1.2.5 to get a working system.
>
> There are 50 Asterisk configuration files in /etc/asterisk.
> Are they _all_ called by Asterisk or are some only used in a #include?
>
> Is there any way to get a list of which ones Asterisk uses by default?
> There is only a single #include file and it doesn't even exist.
>
> I have only messed with 4 files so far.
> Are there any more I should be editing?
> Which ones could be safely ignored?
>
> So far the system is just SIP with Zaptel to be added next.
>
> The 4 files I have changed are:
> sip.conf
> extensions.conf
> extensions_additional.conf
> voicemail.conf
>
> My list of files in /etc/asterisk - sorted most recent last:
> lba at linda asterisk # ls -1tr
> zapata.conf
> vpb.conf
> telcordia-1.adsi