[asterisk-users] Certain fax types cause problems

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Mon Jul 10 05:52:45 MST 2006

Steve Davies wrote:

> I assume that iaxmodem talks to the PRI, and then HylaFax talks IAX to
> asterisk? Any downsides/gotchas to this that I should be aware of?

No,

iaxmodem gives HylaFAX software modes that can also communicate with
Asterisk.

 From the iaxmodem home page:

IAXmodem is a software modem written in C that uses an IAX channel
(commonly provided by an Asterisk PBX system) instead of a traditional
phone line and uses a DSP library instead of DSP hardware chipsets.

IAXmodem was originally conceived to function as a fax modem usable with
HylaFAX <http://hylafax.sourceforge.net>, and it does that well. However
IAXmodem also has been known to function with mgetty+sendfax and efax.

Doug

--

Ben Franklin quote: