[asterisk-users] Encrypting the Conversation

Raymond McKay asterisk at raynettech.com
Mon Jul 10 04:35:34 MST 2006

>> Hi,
>> Is it possible to encrypt the conversation between two parties on SIP,IAX
>> or
>> ZAP channels?
>
> Sure, setup a VPN.
>
> You can get a Linksys VPN router for less than $100 and run whatever
> protocol you like over your VPN.

Agreed.  I have seen and heard of a lot of attempts to bring SRTP support
into Asterisk but the idea of SRTP just doesn't make sense to me.  Asterisk,
and VoIP servers in general, are meant to be communications services not
security services.  In my mind at least, it would seem to make sense to let
security hardware such as a router or firewall handle such tasks as
encryption and let the phone server handle what it does, signaling and
transcoding.  Otherwise, you end up with a device that is not ever going to
be optimized for security, handling your security.  On top of that, you also
are reducing the level of scalability you can achieve on the phone server by
adding yet another chore to its duty roster.

Regards,

Raymond McKay
President
RAYNET Technologies LLC