[asterisk-users] setting up an email to fax with asterisk

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 00:35:23 MST 2006

One of my customers decided to allow me to make a test system for a fax server.
So far I have searched the wiki and came up with Hylafax(standalone or
with IAX) and astfax (integration with asterisk).

Scenario:
Customer has windows machines (500+) and we want to try a fax server
in the email-to-fax fax-to-email mode with minimum intrusion in the
windows machines.

astfax looks promising but it uses openoffice libraries to do
conversion from .doc or other formats to tiff. The thing with this is
that OO sometimes lacks the reliability to do a true conversion on MS
Office formats like fonts or spacing or tabs. So it will look good on
MS Word for example, but crap after OO conversion. I have no intention
to start a war on this, but those who use MS Office and OO will know
that true font/spacing/etc conversion is far from perfect, specially
when mixing different MS Office version (95,2000,XP)

AS with Hylafax, it seems that I need to install an IAX modem in every
machine (arrrggghhhh) or define a printer driver.

Any suggestion for this kind of setup?

Thanks,

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780