[asterisk-users] Choppy MOH (Cisco gateway)

Bill Gibbs bgibbs at edurotech.com
Sun Jul 9 11:49:45 MST 2006

Cisco 3660 with a PRI talking SIP to various Asterisk boxes (not
connected, separate PBXs)  using ulaw all have issues with music on hold
being choppy.  Normal voice and SIP (taking a call from the PRI, placing
a call or extension to extension calls) conversations are _perfect_ with
no drop outs so it's not a problem with the PRI or the 3660 talking to
the Asterisk boxes.  If I call from my Polycom into an extension that
immediately starts MusicOnHold it's perfect as well.

However, calling into the box via the PRI and being placed on hold the
music is choppy.  Also, calling into an extension that spawns
MusicOnHold immediately is choppy when it comes in via the Cisco.

This happens with mpg123, madplay and I tried using the Asterisk 1.2
native mode in musiconhold.conf:

[default]

mode => files

directory => /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3

random => yes

Same problem with all 3.

Tried converting MP3s to a pcm or ulaw file, same problem (using lame
and sox to do the conversions)

It seems that this is common issue with no clear resolution.

Machines are Pentium 4s 512MB or 1GB RAM.  I would be the only call on
the box, no load, etc.

Using ztdummy (or without, same behavior)

Asterisk ver 1.2.4 on all

Normal voice, IVR, play back voicemail, etc are all 100% perfect only on
MusicOnHold has this issue

Polycom SIP phones or using X-Lite to test (used to make the call into
MusicOnHold or answer the call coming in via the PRI and placing on
hold)

Calling in from landline or cell phone - no difference

Any ideas?

Bill