[asterisk-users] CallerID in UK on TalkTalk - different to BT?

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Sat Jul 8 11:04:24 MST 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:55:00PM +0100, Thomas Kenyon wrote:

[snip]
> I thought that the line would now go through talktalk (It is an LLU
> service after all).
> FWIW, the same thing happened to me with a line that moved to bulldog.

In the UK BT still own 85% of all copper into premises. Ofcom forced
them to relinquish various controls so others could offer service using
their lines (but BT still remain owners of the copper).

Initially there was CPS (carrier pre select) whereby the line was still
rented from BT, but another operator would get all the call traffic,
this is done by programming the line in the exchange.

There is now also WLR (wholesale line rental) where the billing of the
line is taken over by the other operator, but call traffic really stills
go through the exchange to another operator.

With LLU (local loop unbundling) there are two options, shared metallic
path, whereby BT bill the line and do voice, and the LLU operator takes
the broadband service.

Non-shared, the line is completely jumpered to the LLU operator and they
take voice and data (Bulldog used this).

TalkTalk WILL do full non-shared service, however as they haven't built
out enough most of the customers they're signing up are actually using
BT Wholesale for broadband provision and using WLR for voice. They will
eventually migrate those users to their own kit when they unbundle the
exchange.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com