[Asterisk-Users] Do you need a licence to connect a Ciscohardphone to Asterisk ?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sat Jul 8 09:46:42 MST 2006

Michiel van Baak wrote:
> On 16:44, Sat 08 Jul 06, Florian Overkamp wrote:
>> Point is, you do not really need a CH1 or CCME license, you are free to
>> combine the Spare phone with a separate SIP license - the price is
>> identical. It is NOT OK however to use a Spare phone without any
>> license, as far as I am aware.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
> freakinng licenses they have there :)
>
> If you buy a model without the "spare" in it's name, you
> have the license to use them right ?
>
> How about secondhand phones you get from ebay ?
> Is my cisco smartnet account enough to run the phone legally
> ? It's not a spare model (at least that was not in the deal
> description)

If you read Cisco's firmware license it specifically prohibits transfer
of the license.  So if you buy used phones you still have to buy a new
SIP license.

This is one of the reasons we went with Polycom instead of Cisco.

--
Now accepting new clients in Birmingham, Atlanta, Huntsville,
Chattanooga, and Montgomery.