[asterisk-users] Fonality vs TrixBox UI

asterisk at txpe.net asterisk at txpe.net
Fri Jul 7 13:09:38 MST 2006

At 02:39 PM 7/7/2006, you wrote:
>Anyone able to give me any pros and cons on these two user interfaces?
>I am very familiar with TrixBox, it is free, and works.  That is all I
>know.
>
>I know nothing about Fonality except it is not free.
>
>Is there any compelling reason to go with Fonality?
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Totaro

Not only is it not free, it (GUI) is not located on your
server.  Your * server connects to their server for the GUI
interface.  You should contact one of their sales reps and have him
show you the demo.  I actually liked the interface.  I think it is a
little more user friendly than AAH/Trixbox (I haven't playes with
HUDLite yet.)  But, that interface you see is on their system, not
yours.  If Fonality were to go out of business, you would still have
a working machine, but you would not have the GUI interface to change
things.  Also, I'm pretty sure you have to buy your phones through
them.  That could have changed, but that was one way they made their
money.  Ultimately, I didn't like it because of the lack of control I
would have.  But, it looks like a good product but probably not
suitable for the more technically sophisticated people on this list.

This is all based on information from several (>8) months
ago.  Things could have changed.