[asterisk-users] intel vs amd motherboards

shadowym shadowym at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 7 09:15:35 MST 2006

I do know that the P4 core has a much longer pipeline (20 instructions?)
than the AMD.  That is not good for a real time application and that is one
of the reasons AMD cpu's are able to do more with less clock cycles.  Nobody
has mentioned heat and power consumption either.  AMD's A64's generate far
less heat than P4's and for me that is a huge deal.

I know Intel just came out with a server chip that supposedly narrows that
gap but they really had no choice.  AMD is kicking their butt on performance
vs power consumption.

Cost vs performance is fairly close these days so I don't think it's even
worth considering that anymore IMHO.

For me, compatiblity is a non-issue these days and either one will work.
Cost vs Performance is a non-issue too.  You pretty much get what you pay
for there.  However, I will take a cool running AMD A64 over a baseboard
heater masquerading as a P4 CPU any day.