[asterisk-users] Phones cutting out.....again - PLEASE HELP!! !

whois wes whoiswes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 10:58:38 MST 2006

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

To answer some of the questions posed:

The main traffic going over this pipe is voice, with a small amount of
web traffic as well.  There are 60 total users, 5 of which access
anything other than what is on their LAN up there.  In any case, we
are not saturating the pipe, and our telco put some sort of filters on
the Optiman switches on each side to eliminate any jitter (or so they
say).

Prior to the filter being installed, we had our main application
server for that location located down here - when the issue started
(out of the blue, nothing really triggered it, and our bandwidth
didn't change or spike) we moved that server to the remote location.
So, before we even had the issue, we were using WAY more bandwidth,
almost 8Mbit at times...we're averaging around 2-3 now, and it rarely
spikes above that.

Also, when I connect to the server locally (the server is in the room
next to me, in other words, and i have 1 Gbit of bandwidth all the way
to the back of the server, I still get call dropouts.  In other words,
completely bypassing the fiber pipe results in the same problem.  For
that reason alone, I don't think it's the WAN (although I agree with
what all of you said in regards to QOS, etc, it's just not up to me to
implement that, even though it's been suggested numerous times).

However, this IS the only server (of 8 total, all in the same rack and
connected to the telco via the same DS3) that is having the issue,
which DOES point to it being the WAN, as that is our ONLY remote
location.

See why I'm frustrated?

I do like the idea of putting a local box up there and using an IAX
trunk over the pipe, and will see about getting that implemented.  GSM
was already shot down as 'too low-quality' - we'd rather up the pipe
to 20Mbit than go with a lower quality codec.

Sorry that I forgot to mention some of this in my initial post, and
hopefully the above info will shed a bit more light on my confusion.

Thank you all again for replying so quickly, and if you have any other
suggestions, please let me know.

Wes