[asterisk-users] Cisco SIP Firmware

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Jul 6 09:30:13 MST 2006

Peder @ NetworkOblivion wrote:
> What is the current recommended version of firmware for SIP on
> 7960/7940's.  I was reading through some of the stuff on voip-info and
> it looks like the 8.x's have pretty serious bugs in regards ti *.  Thanks.

Stay with the v7.x version until the newer stuff becomes more widely
implemented.

Internal Cisco folks have indicated the v8.x code has many new items in
it, some of which make the sip image closer to the skinny images in
terms of functionality. More changes are in the works. However, there
probably hasn't been much testing with non-Cisco gear to prove
compatibility or sip standards, so sticking with v7.x code will provide
a better level of service. (I happen to be running v7.1 on my 7960's, FWIW.)

R.