[asterisk-users] Voicemail Contexts

Peder at NetworkOblivion peder at networkoblivion.com
Wed Jul 5 20:46:35 MST 2006

Right now we have several companies all within on context in voicemail.
   The users want to have dial by name, so we are going to split into
multiple contexts so that they don't accidentally dial each other (and
complain).  I've been reading over the voicemail context info and I'm
somewhat confused and have the following question:

Right now we have one main voicemail number that everybody uses.  If
they call internally, it doesn't matter what the number is because their
phones dial it automatically.  However, if they call from outside, they
all use the same number that they already know.  Once I split the
contexts up, won't I have to have separate voicemail numbers for each
voicemail context?  My thought is that the system needs to know the
context to check the mailbox because you could have the same 4 digit
mailbox number in multiple contexts.  Am I right that I need different
numbers?  If so, is that what everybody does?  That seems like a waste
of DID's.

(we are running 1.0.3 and it's been running for "System uptime: 1 year,
17 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, 25 minutes, 6 seconds", so we aren't mucking
with a new version if we don't have to)