[Asterisk-Users] HP Proliant server?

Alejandro Kauffmann akauffma at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jul 5 06:34:44 MST 2006

> Has anyone had any experience running asterisk on a dual-xeon HP Proliant
server. Have you had any experience setting up digium cards on this?

We have asterisk running on a DL140 dual-xeon (only 1 proc atm) with 1GB of
ram and a TE410P.  Results are mixed.  The bios has 3-4 options you can
change none of which help when trying to get the card it's own interrupt.
We start to get dropped calls once we hook up the 4th E1, but we believe it
has more to do with our users generating 10-13GB/day worth of recordings
using both automon and a web application we developed for custom recording.
We hit the manager extensively and do too much transcoding.

If we ever get around to reducing transcoding, rationalizing the insane
amount of calls that get recorded, add a proxy for the manager, and a few
other tweaks, we believe we can get it to run all 4 E1.  Current daily call
volume tops out at 35k calls.  Peak we cap our 3 E1 which is 90 simultaneous
calls with a couple dozen more via IAX trunks to our servers around the
country.

All in all, a good bang for the buck if you can live on the edge a bit.