[Asterisk-Users] Strange echo phenomenon (double tandem)

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Tue Jan 31 22:10:23 MST 2006

I have a strange problem with echo.

My setup includes a Grandstream HT-488 which is both an FXO and a FXS.

I noticed last evening that if I called the FXS through my asterisk box
from my cell, the resulting connection was fine for me at the cell end,
  but produced dramatic and conversation ruining echo at the FXS of the
HT-488.

Today I realized that if I call out from the same FXS to my cell, the
conversation sounds great at both ends?

At first I wasn't disturbed by this, as I thought perhaps there was a
different codec being used or something? But cranking up the verbosity
and checking this theory shows they are both using g729.

I tried a different cell with a different wireless service provider and
the result was identical.

Any thoughts on why this might be, and ideas on how it might be fixed?

Thanks,
Marty

PS Current asterisk as of 1/30/2006