[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk hardware.

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Tue Jan 31 04:42:06 MST 2006

Fabrice a écrit :

>Hello all,
>
>Just a question, on asterisk box :
>
>I looking on the web , for asterisk at large , and 'asterisk future of
>telephonie' ...
>
>If we would like to change our OLD PABX 600 phone with 4 E1,  to install a
>asterisk with full ip phone in SIP, Could we use 1 Box for asterisk with
>voicemail,  zap channels and some agi script ?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer. If I had to do something like this, I would:

1) Buy a big box (the one I just bought is a dell 1850 with redundant
power supply, raid1 disks, etc) - see dell.com

2) Grab a digium card:

http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=913

3) Buy some decent SIP phones:

http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=758

(I haven't tried those yet but they have a good reputation)

As for the Asterisk distro I really like Xorcom Rapid:

http://www.xorcom.com/

It's debian based, it's clean, and I'm sure the author won't mind you
hiring him to get the 4E1 card working and configure the distro to your
liking. Once it's done, save the disk image (using dd, or mindi / mondo)
to make sure you can redeploy quickly in case of emergency...

All in all you're probably looking at €15-20k for a typical PBX
replacement. You probably want to look into VoIP as well to reduce
operational costs... Old PSTN providers are expensive, with some IP
routing (at least for some of the outbound calls) you can probably
recoup the investment over a few years thanks to phone savings.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom