[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream Budgetone BT-101 audio problems

jurgen thinger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:50:40 MST 2006

Hi all,

I'm having a really frustrating time with a bunch of BT-101 phones.
They've been trouble-free and working very well for the past several
months. A couple of days ago, some of the phones (but not all of them,
yet) have started acting very strangely. All phones are running
firmware 1.0.6.7, and are identically configured (except for the
user/authenticate/password things) on both the phone side and in
sip.conf.

After a few hours of relatively heavy use, the phone stops sending the
remote party's voice to the BT-101 person. Someone else (me, heh heh)
listening in to the call via ZapScan can hear both sides just fine, so
it doesn't seem to be Asterisk's problem, at least directly.

I've tried simply power cycling the phones. Doing that buys me a bit
of time, sometimes a minute, sometimes ten. But the problem always
comes back relatively quickly. Moving the phones to another physical
Ethernet connection does nothing either.

The way to make the problem go away for about 24 hours is to swap them
around. I move a spare from my desk to the person with the bad phone,
simply by changing the user/auth/pass strings. I set the broken phone
up with my testing user/auth/pass stuff, and they both start working
again. Now get this: Simply changing the user/auth/pass strings on the
bad phone to something else, then setting them back to what they were
before *doesn't work*. The actual phones have to be swapped around.
The phones are plugged into the same switch as the Asterisk server, no
funny stuff there.

I've tried resetting the phones back to the factory settings, and
reconfiguring them from scratch. That doesn't eliminate the problem
either, just delays it another 24 hours.

So. That pretty much covers it. Only three of the phones are doing
this, and they only started a few days ago. They were working *fine*
for months! Does anyone have any ideas here? I'm about ready to throw
these phones into a tree shredder.

Thanks!

......jurgen

--