[Asterisk-Users] DID over analog?

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.biz
Mon Jan 30 10:38:11 MST 2006

Ken,

Analog DID's are a bit backwards compared to normal POTS lines.  I don't
know about outside the US, but here (in California, specifically) I've
done a few analog DID installs on some NEC PBX equipment.  The trick is
that with an analog DID line, the CPE provides the battery to the telco
(i.e. the DID phone line plugs into an FXS port on your equipment
instead of an FXO port).  The DTMF's come from the telco but only
because the telco "goes offhook" and sends the DTMF's down the line, and
then connects the call.

If you point a DID number at a regular POTS line then when a call rings
in it simply rings in like a regular analog phone line.  Unless the
carrier can provide some form of DNIS on an analog line I believe you'd
need one POTS line per DID number.  Or you could order one DID trunk
group and point all of your DID numbers to it and use FXS ports to
handle those incoming calls...

-MC