[Asterisk-Users] How many digium cards per server ?

Kristian Larsson kristian at netatonce.se
Mon Jan 30 05:17:25 MST 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 10:39:11AM +0100, janvb at caselaboratories.com wrote:
> hi
>
> I know people in here use 4 boards, but I believe the only real
> limitation is the number of PCI slots in your computer.
Is this 4 E1 boards?

> Obviously, with 4x4xE1/T1 boards (480 B channels) you need a pretty fast
> monster to drag it around due to the way the zaptel/asterisk works. So
> the actual limit is probably mostly restricted to how fast your PC is. I
> know other telco engines easily drag 16 E1's, but I am not sure Asterisk
> can do that even without echo cancel? You have to test...
I'd say one of the things you will run into is the
number of interrupts coming at you with so many
cards.

Personally I recommend one card per box. The card
goes for $1800(I buy Sangoma with echo cancel)
while the computer goes for $800 (HP Proliant
145). So the computer is really the small expense
here and with one card per box I instead have
several boxes and thus better redundancy.
One card per box also guarantess I won't have any
interrupt problems and it's capable of
transcoding.

  Kristian.

--