[Asterisk-Users] strange performance issue

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Sun Jan 29 11:04:45 MST 2006

hi

i just setup a test with asterisk 1.2 to see how many concurrent
calls it could handle, and I came across something quite strange;
with ~1000 calls between two asterisk servers, generated with

[looptest]
exten => _X.,1,GotoIf($[ ${EXTEN} > 1000 ]?pickup:dial)
exten => _X.,n(pickup),Answer
exten => _X.,n,Echo
exten => _X.,n(dial),Dial(SIP/looptest/$[ ${EXTEN} + 1])

...ping-pong dialing beween two servers. On one of the servers,
system- and user load was low and fine, but on the other, system load
was around 50%(!). After a little headscratching and debugging, i
found this from oprofile: http://pastebin.ca/39007, and mr Underwood
asked me if I was seeing excessive network traffic. The box has two
NICs, and one of them is connected to a 'mirror' port on the cisco
switch, spewing all traffic from all ports into there. So, yes, I
keep seeing lots of traffic. But then, problem still persists after
'ifconfig eth1 down'. I yet haven't had the possibility to unplug the
cable, as the server is at the server farm, but I'll try tomorrow.

Anyway, given that the problem is directly related to the traffic,
does anyone know how i can avoid this problem _without_ just
unplugging the other NICs cable?

Best regards

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
roy at karlsbakk.net
---
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there
is no air to get in the way.