[Asterisk-Users] How to remove first ring tone on FXO?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:32:05 MST 2006

You are wrong, there is no way you can remove the ring, since the ring
is something that the callers equipment is generating to the caller,
and NOT asterisk. The most you will able to accomplish will be to have
just one ring before asterisk picks up. By setting usecallerid to no
all you are doing is telling asterisk don't wait for callerid, but
since you are using POTS, 2 things will always happen that you can't
control:
1. At least part of a ring has to be delivered to Asterisks' FXO port,
so that Asterisk knows that there is an incoming call, because inband
signalling is used, there is no other way for asterisk to know there
is an incoming call.
2. The calling party will always hear at least one ring even if
asterisk happens to pick up the line - by mistake - before any ring
voltage, because the switch that the line is connected to has already
sent a ring indicator to the remote switch, and the remote switch has
already started playing the ring tone to the caller, similar to what
the playtones(ring) does in Asterisk. Even if it happens to be that
you were able to get it once to NOT ring to the caller, it was by
mistake that the timing worked out that way, it has nothing to do with
what you set in Asterisk.
If you have a PRI then you can do that, since if you use Answer as the
first command, ring indicator is never sent down the line.