[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Subscriptions to SIP accounts at Same Domain

usenet at netassist.info usenet at netassist.info
Sat Jan 28 17:29:32 MST 2006

Sorry not to have observed etiquet and lurked here for a bit before
wading in with a question but I have an issue that may well be because
I dont know enough about what asterisk is actually doing under the hood
to understand why I cant do what I want with asterisk.

Im hoping that someone can point me in the right direction :-)

This is what I have:

Mandrake 2006 running Asterisk 1.2.3 - no additional hardware -
everything is going to be running via SIP.

To enable inbound and outbound connectivity I have been experimenting
with using various accounts provided by Gosspitel, Sipgate, aql and
others and have found the most sucessful have been those provided by
Gossiptel.

Herein lies the problem.  I need to register about six incoming lines
all provided by Gossiptel - half of them to be active within one
context and half within another.

I have sucessfully registered all the lines within sip.conf as follows:

register => username1:password1:authuser1 at sip.gossiptel.com
register => username2:password2:authuser2 at sip.gossiptel.com
etc

and then I created a peer and a user for the sip.gossiptel.com domain,
but I now find that any calls that come in to any of these registered
accounts all ring the 's' extension within the default context.  Thats
fine as far as it goes but I need to be able to handle each SIP account
in its own context.  As a half way house, in the course of testing this
I did play with creating extensions for each sip account and directing
them thus:

register => username1:password1:authuser1 at sip.gossiptel.com/ext1
register => username2:password2:authuser2 at sip.gossiptel.com/ext2

and this works fine as well - inbound calls end up activating the
assigned extensions within extensions.conf but the problem remains that
these extensions themselves have to be within a single context (in my
case the default context).

So my question in short is - does anyone know how I can regester
multiple SIP accounts so that, at the time of registration they each
become active in different contexts - I have scoured the manual and see
no way of allocating contexts to each individual registration if they
are all at the same domain.

OK, Im labouring the point now because its late :-)

I would have thought that one way of doing this would be to have some
way of forcing a peer and user definition to register with the server
and for that registration to be within the context of the peer or user
- so that inbound calls to that line would activate the extension
within the assigned context - or perhaps to have a context switch that
could be procesed by register => wherever it was in sip.conf

I would have thought the former solution would be better as it seems
more logical and understandable to put this within a peer definition -
does anyone know if simply putting the register => command in a peer
definition has the desired effect ?  Certainly it didnt seem to when I
tried it.

Hope that this is clear enough  and that someone has the answer to this
one! Its quite annoying as to my mind it should clearly be possible,
especially for those of us who need multiple lines and want to stick to
one voip provider externally.

Kind Regards and thanks in advance for any help with this one,

Geoff.