[Asterisk-Users] sip registration question

Zahid Mehmood zmofny at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 08:05:51 MST 2006

I am a newbie and am having trouble trying to register with a voip
provider using sip.  I am able to connect using xlite softphone. in
xlite i use

domain/realm:   providerdomain.com
sip proxy:      host.providerdomain.com:9000

this difference in domain and sip proxy host is whats causing problem
for me.

section from sip.conf

[provider-out]
        type=peer
        secret=nnnnnn
        username=55439
        fromuser=55439
        fromdomain=providerdomain.com
        host=host.providerdomain.com
        port=9000
        nat=No
        canreinvite=no

when trying to make a call with xlite, i see that the "to" part in sip
messages is using @xyz.provider.com where as in asterisk it uses
host.xyz.provider.com  (sip proxy host, NOT the domain/realm host).

Another thing i notice is that if i use nat=yes then asterisk doesn't
seem to be using the port=9000 and uses default 5060 for remote host.

What am i doing wrong or missing?  Can someone point me in the right
direction?  What will be the register => line for this?  Also can
someone provide info on "[authentication]" in sip.conf?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.