[Asterisk-Users] sip qualify=yes interval

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 18:17:32 MST 2006

On 1/27/06, Damon Estep <damon at suburbanbroadband.net> wrote:
> In an earlier thread Andrew Kohlsmith enlightened me on the use of
> qualify in sip.conf to deal with a peer that is down.
>
> Since then I have been searching for information on how the behavior of
> qualify can be tuned.
>
> The wiki is vague on this;
>
> " Syntax:
>
>  qualify=xxx|no|yes
>
> where XXX is the number of milliseconds used. If yes the default timeout
> is used, 2 seconds.
>
> If you turn on qualify in the configuration of a SIP device in sip.conf,
> Asterisk will send a SIP OPTIONS command regularly to check that the
> device is still online. If the device does not answer within the
> configured (or default) period (in ms) Asterisk considers the device
> off-line for future calls. "
>
> So;
> qualify=1000|yes
> means query for SIP OPTIONS, then take then unregister the peer if no
> response in 1000ms.
>
> But, how do you set/determine the frequency at which a peer is queried?
> Does this go on indefinitely after a peer fails to respond to make sure
> the peer is re-registered when available again? Can the interval be set
> on a per peer basis?
>
> Any documentation on this that you can point me to?

 It should actually be qualify=1000 if you'd like for the peer to be
made unavailable when we don't get a response to SIP OPTIONs within
1000ms (1 second).

 If the host is reachable, the next SIP OPTION attempt will not come
until 60 seconds later. If the host isn't reachable, it will proceed
to schedule SIP OPTION attempts every 10 seconds.

 These are defined constants in chan_sip.c

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/