[Asterisk-Users] Shared Line Appearance

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Jan 27 05:25:29 MST 2006

Sean Cook wrote:

> Ok... I am having a serious brain fart this evening.  IIRC, the next sip
> draft addresses shared lines and I thought I remembered something on the
> list about support for it in the near future.

'the next sip draft'? There are probably 150+ IETF drafts circulating
regarding SIP functionality... is there a particular one you are
referring to? I'm not aware of any effort to update/replace RFC3261, and
shared line appearance wouldn't belong there anyway.

> Is there an implementation for shared line support in asterisk? I know
> that with hint I can "watch" line status... I just want to be able to
> pick up on an extension when ringing or jumping in on a call by punching
> the line.

You are confusing shared line appearance with shared extension
appearance. It is possible today to watch an extension's status and use
the key on the phone to either call that extension (if it is not in use)
or pick up a ringing call at that extension. With some creative dialplan
programming it may also be possible to force any call that extension is
involved in into a MeetMe and then join it... thereby joining the call.
This is all 'shared extension appearance' stuff.

Shared Line Appearance is much more complex to implement, but we are
very seriously considering doing it in the near future, since there is
so much demand. Keep in mind that you will _never_ be able to fully
simulate a key system using Asterisk unless you seriously dumb down the
Asterisk features that don't make sense for a key system... but we can
at least get this part functional. Stay tuned :-)