[Asterisk-Users] Re: OT: Legacy systems / fax

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Thu Jan 26 15:43:13 MST 2006

Around 1978, when I was consulting to a multinational company in the
business of agriculture, I witnessed this configuration in their
communications center in NYC:

A paper tape punch attached to a teletype machine was busily punching
out a tape that was being spewed into a wastebasket.  Somehow, running
behind it by several feet of tape, was a paper tape reader on another
teletype drawing the tape out of the basket, sending the data to
who-knows-where.  Amazingly, it wasn't getting tangled.  To me, this was
emblematic of how tradition dies hard...

T.30 will be with us for a while to come.  Wise managers will limit this
to the outer boundaries of their enterprises wherever practical, ASAP.

From: Jean-Michel Hiver <jhiver at ykoz.net>

Doing a analog (piece of paper) -> digital (scanning process) -> analog
(modulation over TDM) -> digital (conversion to TDMoIP) -> analog
(demodulating on the other fax) -> digital (reconstructing the image in
fax memory) -> analog (printing) conversion doesn't make any kind of
sense...

It might be great for legacy systems, but it's so not the right way of
doing it.