[Asterisk-Users] VoIP in India

Sahil Gupta sgupta at voicevalley.com.au
Wed Jan 25 23:49:15 MST 2006

Hi,
This is not entirely correct, though it is a slightly costly excercise and
India is making progress on it is definately possible.

If you hold an ILD license in India you can terminate whatever you like
and there will be no objections held.  Not having the license and
running grey routes (whilst quite common) leaves you wide open for
prosecution.

The cost of the ILD license has significantly reduced in India and has
fallen from a previous fee (paid in the form of a bank guarantee) of 25
Crores to 2.5 Crores - so yes PSTN termination is possible if you have
2.5 crores plus capital outlay in your back pocket.

There are at present only 4 ILD operators in India (Airtel, BSNL, VSNL,
Reliance) - this means all other carriers Hutch/Essar for e.g. must buy
their outbound termination for their mobile network off an ILD operator.
That said, if you are running a 100% VoIP Network, you need not purchase
off an ILD operator but are still required to purchase off a local ITSP
license holder (there are a dozen of them in each city).

Hope that clarifies the fog.

Regards,

Sahil Gupta
VoiceValley