[Asterisk-Users] Best FXO hardware for home use

asterisk at anime.net asterisk at anime.net
Wed Jan 25 15:38:14 MST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Mike Myers wrote:
> Specifically, should I buy a FXO ATA like the Sipura 3000, or a PCI
> form factor port like the Digium TDM400 series.  I have read horrible
> things about problems with the X100P, so I have ruled that out.  The
> Sipura 3000 gives me the ability to get an FXO/FXS configuration that I
> can put anywhere in the network, which simplifies my wiring a bit (I'd
> rather push 100BT signals around than analog telephony), but I don't
> know how reliable it is in an FXO role compared to the TDM400.  Am I
> missing another FXO hardware option that is even better?

echo cancellation is pretty limited on these cheap devices. the spa3000
manual for example states the AEC is limited to 8ms. good AECs will handle
64ms or more. in my experience the spa3000 echo canceller is cranky. it
works most but not all of the time.

also, the spa3000 is only 10mbit.

if you can, get something with a good hardware echo canceller.

sangoma has a new line of FXO products. they're a bit spendy but look very
nice.

-Dan