[Asterisk-Users] Simple setup ...

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 05:25:10 MST 2006

phil.dawson at marnock.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking to run Asterisk in the office to replace an old
> PBX and would appreciate a little help.  We are moving offices and will
> have 8 digital lines.  My questions are:
>
> As there are 8 digital lines is this known as PRI?

In the UK, that would be called a partial E1. E1 is the generic name for
BT's ISDN30 product.

> Which Digium card would be the best fit?

If it *is* a partial E1, then the Digium TE110P (that's the
non-echo-cancelling version) is what you're after. Sangoma make a card
with similar capabilities, and others (like Eicon) make E1 cards with
DSPs on board which handle echo cancellation as well as a lot of ISDN
stack housekeeping.

Intelligent cards are *much* more expensive than dumb ones like the TE110P.

If you have ISDN2e (4 x 2 channel boxes on the wall), then you'll need a
4 port ISDN2e card. Digium don't make an ISDN2e card.

> Would you recommend looking at the echo cancellation cards?

Sorry, I have no experience of the Digium echo cancellers (yet).

> We are UK based: is caller id supported by Asterisk for the card that
> you would recommend?

All ISDN30 and ISDN2e cards hadle caller id in the UK. BT (or your
alternative carrier) will have to enable it.

Anytime anyone asks for advice on a small system, someone wades in with
"try Asterisk at home".  I wouldn't recommend that myself.

jd

John Daragon                                          john at argv.co.uk
argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage,  Staple Fitzpaine,  Taunton,  TA3 5SL,  UK
v +44 (0) 1460 234068   f +44 (0) 1460 234069   m +44 (0) 7836 576127