[Asterisk-Users] Polycom phones and dynamic IP for NAT

Tue Jan 24 04:55:20 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 16:26 -0500, Bill Gibbs wrote:
> I know the Polycoms work with NAT, but you have to specify the public
> IP.

No you don't, at least, I never have, and it works perfectly for me
every time.... I have a client who regularly moves their polycom 501
from home -> work and back again....

> I like the phones (been playing with a 301) but for some of our
> clients who have a dynamic IP (and no hope of getting a static ie
> cable or residential DSL) I’d be afraid to use them since you have to
> specify the IP.

I'd have no problem in using them in that scenario, as long as you trust
them to not run away with your hardware :) If they are likely to
damage/steal the hardware, then go with some more economical phone like
the grandstream, or even better, some of the AG1688 chipset phones with
an IAX firmware.

> What about the Cisco phones?  Is the IP hard set?  Are there any good
> “dynamic IP” compatible SIP phones that aren’t crap?

I'm no expert on phones, but the polycom is the best I've seen yet...

Regards,
Adam