[Asterisk-Users] T3 Mux and Asterisk Question

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Jan 22 21:42:52 MST 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Steve Totaro wrote:

> I have a T3 coming from my carrier.  From there I want to use an Adtran
> mx2800 T1 Mux to break the T3 into 28 T1/PRI which feed into seven quad
> T1/PRI equipped servers.
>
> Everything seems very straight forward with the exception of the D
> channels for the T1/PRI.
>
> I am not very familiar with large circuits such as T3s.  I know that I
> can use one D channel per set of quad port on each server.  So if each
> server has a quad port card, I can use one channel as the D channel for
> all four spans.
>
> That gives me seven D channels in my setup.  Does anyone know how the
> Mux handles these D channels onto the T3?  My guess is the Mux is simple
> going to send all of the channels onto the T3 without modifying
> anything.

That's correct. The T1 spans on the DS3 are completely independent of the
clocking on the DS3. The D-channel and timing is something that will be
handled by your upstream Telco and the switch that you'll be connecting
to. Or, your own box.. ;)

> What I would really like to do is have one D channel coming in on the T3
> and have it split between each of the T1/PRI or even better one D
> channel per quad (I know Asterisk can do that).
>
> Is it possible?

No.

> If the Adtran mx2800 cannot do it, is there anther
> product that can.  I have looked at the RAD Optimux T3 product but have
> had great experience with Adtran products.  The price is the same but
> the Adtran allows for two controller cards so it seems to have more
> built in redundancy.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.

Adtran's MX-2800 is our choice for Muxes. They are solid, reliable and
work well. Adtran's technical support is amazing. When you purchase an
MX-2800, you are immediately given access to the Adtran Carrier support
group, which doesn't even blink about sending out an advance replacement
unit overnight if you ask.

                             KP-216-121-ST