[Asterisk-Users] Re: GXP-2000 fw 1.0.1.13 and NTP

Tony Di Bona tony at alloyventures.com
Sun Jan 22 07:13:01 MST 2006

No solution, but more data. We have an asterisk server at a branch office (where it will reside at the end of the evaluation) and the NTP server at the main office. The NTP server runs under freeBSD. DHCP info at the main office is offered up by a Windows 2000 server and at the branch office by a cisco PIX 501. A VPN connection is used between the offices. The main office network is a hive of activity, the branch office network is relatively quiet. The two GXP-2000 units running 1.0.1.9 produced the same repeatable results (~ 10 power cycles for each configuration) as follows:

1) Static number on the main office network = clock wrong, registered with asterisk
2) DHCP number on the main office network = clock wrong, failed to register with asterisk

3) Static number on the branch office network = clock correct, registered with asterisk
4) DHCP number on the branch office network = clock correct, registered with asterisk

A final test was to configure the phone for DHCP on the main office network, unplug it, take it to the branch office, plug it in = results as above. Taking it back to the office resulted in the same failure mode as above. Since the phone was set to DHCP there was no need to modify anything. Since this happens with 2 phones and is repeatable it tells me it is with the phone.

For purposes of our application the phones work since they will be at the branch office, however knowing the bug is there is reason for concern. Perhaps there are other packets on our main office network which are causing stack problems with the phone.

A polycom 601 in the same 4 scenarios worked perfectly (but they are more than twice the price).

Tony.