[Asterisk-Users] T3 Mux and Asterisk Question

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun Jan 22 06:42:21 MST 2006

I have a T3 coming from my carrier.  From there I want to use an Adtran
mx2800 T1 Mux to break the T3 into 28 T1/PRI which feed into seven quad
T1/PRI equipped servers.

Everything seems very straight forward with the exception of the D
channels for the T1/PRI.

I am not very familiar with large circuits such as T3s.  I know that I
can use one D channel per set of quad port on each server.  So if each
server has a quad port card, I can use one channel as the D channel for
all four spans.

That gives me seven D channels in my setup.  Does anyone know how the
Mux handles these D channels onto the T3?  My guess is the Mux is simple
going to send all of the channels onto the T3 without modifying
anything.

What I would really like to do is have one D channel coming in on the T3
and have it split between each of the T1/PRI or even better one D
channel per quad (I know Asterisk can do that).

Is it possible?  If the Adtran mx2800 cannot do it, is there anther
product that can.  I have looked at the RAD Optimux T3 product but have
had great experience with Adtran products.  The price is the same but
the Adtran allows for two controller cards so it seems to have more
built in redundancy.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve