[Asterisk-Users] Dundi Examples

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 13:41:59 MST 2006

On 1/19/06, Douglas Garstang <dgarstang at oneeighty.com> wrote:
> The O'Reilly TFOT book is full of errors. Two that pop into my head instantly are it's referring to regcontext being able to execute dialplan commands upon SIP registration and it's use of auth= in sip.conf in the DUNDi section. I wouldn't trust it.

I'm confused as to what you mean by "and it's use of auth= in sip.conf
in the DUNDi section" as I only configured iax.conf within the DUNDi
section, and never touched sip.conf. Yes, I do mention the use of
auth=, BUT that is in the "iax.conf" file. I specifically say I will
be editing the iax.conf file in the very first paragraph of that
section.

You would be correct if I had been using sip.conf, where the use of
auth= is very much different (its used for outbound registration when
a proxy server challenges Asterisk for authentication based on realm
-- this is NOT the same use in iax.conf which is used to determine the
authorization methods the user/peer supports).

As for the regcontext which you mention, I'll admit that it needs to
be reworded. It isn't used to perform actions upon peer registration,
but rather is used to specify the context which adds a NoOp, priority
1 to the dialplan upon peer registration. This in turn can be used to
perform actions for incoming calls to your Asterisk system (assuming
the call is either directed to the context, or is included into an
accessable context, as configured with regcontext).

If you have really found that many errors, feel free to submit them as
errata to O'Reilly so that they may be fixed in upcoming printings and
in the PDFs freely distributed on the Asterisk Documentation Project
website (located at http://www.asteriskdocs.org).

Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk