[Asterisk-Users] Rotated Logs Per SIGXFSZ every few seconds

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 07:47:31 MST 2006

Hello,

I recently installed Asterisk 1.2.2 on one of our servers and it was
doing fine until this morning when it started to Rotate the
logfiles(event_log and messages[/var/log/asterisk/]) every few
seconds:
   "Rotated Logs Per SIGXFSZ (Exceeded file size limit)"
 They would never get more than 6000 bytes big before they rotated and
it just kept rotating until I ended up with 10000 messages and
event_log files in my /var/log/asterisk directory(messages.0 to
messages.9999). the logger doesn't seem to know what to do after 9999
log rotates so it prints out another error message at that time.

Looking in the logger.c code it says the logger reload is triggered by
handle_SIGXFSZ being set to 1 but I can't find out how this is
happening every few seconds. This was really loading down the server
so I basically manually disabled the logfiles, but it's still
reloading the logger every few seconds now just not causing as much
load as it was before. Stopping and restarting asterisk does nothing
to help the problem.

Is this a bug, or am I just missing where some hidden large logfile is
hiding at 2GB in size?

MATT---