[Asterisk-Users] Polycom FW

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Fri Jan 20 14:58:23 MST 2006

Thank you to all who responded to my inquiry below.  As explained by a
few people, Polycom has a policy of withholding current firmware
releases from users, thus forcing them to contact "authorized" resellers
for support should they need this code.  Similar to another reported
experience, I attempted to contact the reseller from whom I purchased
this telephone, but was unable to penetrate the screening process
because I had not purchased a support contract at additional cost.  So I
was sitting with a one day old phone that had become a paperweight, and
the other sources that *-users list correspondents had kindly referred
me to were just not working for me.  Perhaps I was doing something wrong.

Having painlessly downloaded and used FW from other manufacturers' web
sites in the past, I found this predicament exasperating.

I contacted another reseller and agreed to purchase another Polycom
model if they agreed to provide me with current firmware.  After placing
an order, I was given ftp access to a site for obtaining the material.
Minutes later, I had restored the phone to working order.

The sales rep at the second reseller explained that Polycom has this
policy in order to "strengthen the reseller channel" which I thought was
rather ironic.  Well, he did make a sale, I suppose, but it felt like
blackmail to this customer.  I'm not terribly impressed by the second
reseller, and I'm soured on the first.

While I have no objection to paying for any kind of support, it does
seem that the deliberate creation of impediments such as this do not
enhance the image of Polycom, up and down the distribution channel.  But
of course, that is their privilege.  As I stated, I like the phone, and
it compares very favorably to others I'm evaluating.  However, if all
other things were equal (and they could become so with just some
firmware improvements), this nonsense will drive me into the arms of a
competing manufacturer in a heartbeat.  It's needless grief to put your
customers through, and that's just stupid, in my opinion.