[Asterisk-Users] Conversation interrupted by fax

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Fri Jan 20 11:09:58 MST 2006

Asterisk SVN-trunk-r7353M (will be moving to 1.2.2 this weekend)
E1 connected to Sangoma A102
SIP phones (Cisco 7960)

I've been making a call from my mobile to the office, when, suddenly the
conversation is terminated and replaced by a "fax-type" sound. This has
happened to me several times over the past year, so it's not the version
of asterisk (we've had cvs trunk and digium TE405 cards running when
this has happened as well). I've never been able to figure it out.

Today, I was speaking to my wife (I made the call outbound from the
office to home) and the call went dead. I tried to redial, but kept
getting the engaged tone. I fired up the * cli, and noticed that there
was a fax (RXFAX) running on the zap channel that I had previously
dialled out on. This RXFAX kept running for nearly two minutes, and I
was unable to call home. However, the second that the rxfax disappeared,
I was able to call home.

My wife said "it wasn't me, and there was a horrible fax sound on the
line and I couldn't make any calls".

Now, what is really interesting is the micro second before the call
dropped, I heard my youngest child start to screech - dinner was being
served, he was hungry ;)

What I am surmising is that the fax detection is still running on a
connected call, and decided that the child's screech was a fax machine
and jumped into receiving a fax .

Is this possible ? I do have fax detection on (zapata.conf). Is there
anyway of turning fax detection off if the call has been connected ?

Julian.