[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Linux-HA

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Thu Jan 19 09:08:40 MST 2006

Yes, heartbeat is good at monitoring system and network availability, but to monitor applications as well, you need to jump through hoops and do some custom development. A shame really because without that it's useless.

Also, heartbeat only works in a primary/secondary fashion. Ie you can't have both systems in your cluster serving asterisk at the same time. This is because you only have one virtual IP address, and when the master fails, the secondary gets the virtual IP adddress. Once again, useless if you want to load balance your asterisk systems. That's what we wanted, and why we didn't go down this path. You also might want to check and see what the effect is on Asterisk of having your IP address change without restarting asterisk.

Doug.