[Asterisk-Users] SMS to fixed phone line

Thu Jan 19 00:02:23 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 16:16 +1100, James Harper wrote:
> My alternatives then are:
> 1. a modem to dial up the internet and send email to an email to sms
> gateway
> 2. a subscription to a dialup sms service (Telstra do offer one)
> 3. a GSM modem
> 4. SMS to fixed line
>
> #3 means no reliance on fixed lines at all, which could be good, but #4
> sounds like the cheapest and most straight forward option.
>
> But thanks for your opinion :)

Well, many years ago I took option 3 which works nicely, also,
considering these days you can get a sim card for $10 which lasts one
year, (if you have a really good quality network with no outages) or for
$50/mth you get a few hundred dollars of SMS....

I also use the extra SIM card to get myself a new mobile phone every 12
months instead of only every 2 years :)

Oh, considering a landline is $30/mth instead of $10/year... also, what
charges are there for sending an SMS over a landline??

Can you sms from a mobile to a landline??

Can you sms from a land line to a mobile??

Finally, there is a SMS application which apparently works in the UK and
possibly other areas of europe, which talks over PRI to send/receive
messages. Quite some time ago I thought I would move away from my SMS
modem to this, but I never really found enough info (such as what the
phone number for the SMSC is, and all the other bits that I needed to
work out.

Oh, again, I think there is an option for how you receive the SMS, by
default it is by voice, but if you call some number (or code or
something) then you will receive your sms by some digital method
instead. Also, consider that there are a number of cordless dect phones
which now support SMS (I have one connected to asterisk, but again,
haven't played with it).

So, in short, if you get it working, I'd like to hear about it, but I
don't really have the time to play with it at the moment....

Regards,
Adam