[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.2.2 Released!

Dustin Goodwin dustin at voipexperts.com
Wed Jan 18 22:40:09 MST 2006

As far as I can tell you not an idiot for not picking this up. It was
a bit buried in the details.  I am not sure why they just didn't
explain this in announcement about 1.2.2. Or better in the Readme.
But I am sure they had good reasons.

ftp://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/README-1.2.2-netsec
"This release of Asterisk contains support for network security devices
manufactured by Ranch Networks, Inc., using their MIDCOM interface
library. You will need the companion libmidcom-0.1.0.tar.gz file to
build the library. Contact Ranch Networks' support department for assistance
 in building and configuring MIDCOM support."

So the Q for the release team is:
Does this mean Asterisk now has pre-standards based Midcom support? Or just
Ranch midcom support?

About Ranch voip firewall/NAT/QOS appliance thingy:
http://www.ranchnetworks.com/go.rn?view=voip

What is Midcom you ask?
So Midcom is a IETF protocol Voip PBX speak to tell firewalls type boxes (like Ranch)
what ports to open to allow calls through the firewall. The problem being as Voip get
secure encrypted signaling firewalls will not be able to tell which ports to open to
let media through the firewall. I am scared of the idea that my SIP proxy or
IP PBX would be allowed to tell my firewall which ports to open. But I am not sure there is a better solution.

Good paper that includes short section on Midcom:
NIST: Security Considerations for Voice Over IP Systems
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-58/SP800-58-final.pdf

- Dustin -