[Asterisk-Users] SMS to fixed phone line

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Wed Jan 18 21:08:02 MST 2006

Telstra (Australian Telco) has recently introduced a feature to allow
the sending of SMS direct to fixed analogue lines, with an appropriate
handset.

As best as I can figure out, this appears to use CID type signalling, or
at least on a line that otherwise has no CID on it, CID is sent, but
with a standard modem I can only receive the date, time, and phone
number (eg normal CID info).

After that the phone rings, but Telstra will just call the number and
use 'Text to Speech' to read the message out when a user answers.

Does anyone know anything more about this in Australia or, failing that,
if they do the same thing anywhere else in the world?

My guess is that either:
1. the whole message is transmitted in the CID period, but my modem
doesn't hear it, but then I don't know how Telstra would know that the
message has been received.
2. Some indicative signalling takes place in the CID, which then
triggers the handset to hide rings from the user and use normal modem
signalling to transfer the message.

If it has been around for a while outside Australia, is there an SMS
module for Asterisk which would make use of it? I think that being able
to receive (and probably send - haven't even started looking at that yet
but it is supported in the same way) SMS messages would be a really
nifty thing to be able to do from a phoneline, and would save me buying
a $600 GSM modem to do the same thing!

Thanks

James