[Asterisk-Users] uplink call quality issues

Esteban Guana-Jarrin egua5261 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:45:33 MST 2006

Hi Stewart,

>>Are you sure that this is an Asterisk problem?  Configure an IP phone,
>>ATA, or softphone to >>connect directly with the provider, and check the
>>quality.  If it's bad, use tools such as http://www.testyourvoip.com/ and
>>http://www.pingplotter.com/ to troubleshoot.

>>If standalone phone works ok, compare with *.  Same codec? Same
>>packetization?

I have configured an IP phone as per your advice and connected directly with
the provider. The voice qaulity is much better, I'd say is really good same
as a call on a PSTN line.
In this scenario i selected the g.729 codec for the IP phone, which is the
same codec I'm using in the asterisk box (8 x g.729 licenses are installed)

What do you mean with the same packetization?

>>If not, adjust * to match.   If they're the same, please provide info on
>>your Internet connection >>upload speed, codec, type of client phones,
>>etc.

Our internet connection upload speed is 2Mbps, G.729 codecs with the
licences installed in *, client phones are the Sipura (SPA-841). The upload
link it isn't being saturated, it does not go beyond 300 kbps, checked on 5
minutes average intervals.

Comparing between the two scenarions, i found that the voice volume when
using asterisk is much lower than when connecting the IP phone
with the Voice provider directly.

Can you please provide any ideas on how to troubleshoot the volume problem ?
and any other comments will be very much appreciated.

Paul