[Asterisk-Users] OT: DCAP Certification

Alexander Lopez alex.lopez at opsys.com
Wed Jan 18 12:52:07 MST 2006

 I am posting only as an opinion, my comments are based upon my
observations and NOT on FACTS.

I remember that when the exam or certification was first announced. Many
were upset at how the exam was to be administered, whom was going to
profit, and most inportantly, who was going to write the test.

The group that undertook the preparation of the exam were developers,
coders, and persons that have experience inh the Telecom/Datacom area
but may have never written a certification exam.

I took the exam, cold turkey, I did not attend the boot camp nor did I
know what to expect.  I did however pass,  The score I received on the
written was less than I expected, but well above passing (85). If I had
known more about alamreciever and some other obscure applications I may
have faired better.

The test is well written and if you can pass it you are truly an
Asterisk Savvy Professional. I have learned that when solving a problem
it is better to know HOW and WHY things work, rather than understanding
the commands needed to make it work. We all have been in a situation
where 'it should work!!, but doesn't'. I think having the knowledge on
SIP RFC's and the different standards is not a bad thing.

I have been fortunate to be in a position to hire technical persons.  I
have found that the certification is only a valuable as the test
required to get certified. I have hired many a MCSE that cannot figure
out an incomming mail issue because their understanding of the email
system is exchange based and the customer was using a sendmail-based
proxy.

Or how a Certified network pro does not know that a /24 is
255.255.255.0. They know one or the other, because that was on the test.

Give the people that had the 'testicular fortitude' to proceed and make
something out of nothing some credit. It is of coure only a first
release!!!!

Alex