[Asterisk-Users] OT: DCAP Certification

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 18 07:05:40 MST 2006

(continuing topposting for readability)

Frankly having to know RFCs intimately sounds a bit over the top to me.
I took the RHCE exam which is seen as one of the toughest exams in the
industry and never had to study RFCs. I don't know any other exams that
require you to do so (based on experience with Cisco, AIX, DB2, Novell
and dare I say Microsoft training). Imagine having to study all relevant
RFCs for RHCE. I would prolly have to start at 1 and end at whatever is
the highest number :)

I would be interested to learn what the rationale is of having to know
these RFCs. If the exam were aimed at certifiying someone as an advanced
Asterisk developer like Olle than I can understand that. But what about
the many people that "just" manage the system? Do they really need
intimate knowledge of RFCs 2543, 3261, 1889, 2327 etc? If they do than I
guess they should call their vendor. Good for business too :) Perhaps
the certification could be split into Certified Asterisk Engineer and
Certified Asterisk Developer or Certified Advanced Asterisk Engineer.

Regards,
Patrick