[Asterisk-Users] Fritz card technology & German *

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 04:45:36 MST 2006

Chris Earle (CBL) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working with * for a long time now, but only with analog FXS/FXO
> systems.
> I am venturing towards setting up a box in Germany now and I believe that
> requires a Fritz card?  Do I even have to use the Fritz cards?  Why not a
> Digium card....

The AVM Fritz card is a single connection (2 x 64 kbps) passive ISDN
card. It's well supported by chan_capi, but running more than one of
them in a PC requires a driver patch.

You can't use a Digium card because Digium doesn't make an ISDN2 card.

>   We have 2 ISDN lines ( --> 6 handsets) so I'm guessing that will require 2
> Fritz PCI cards (they have 1 port only).  Then there's some sort of channel
> bank that sends the calls out to the extensions.
> Does this make any sort of sense?

By 2 lines I guess you mean 4 channels ? i.e. 4 simultaneous calls ?  If
you mean 2 channels, then you only need 1 fritz card.

> Could someone confirm with me that this is the right direction to go -- ISDN
> lines, Fritz cards/Asterisk box, Channelbank/telco-box, extension
> handsets......

On the handset side you could use a couple of TDM4xx cards, or just use
SIP phones.

jd

John Daragon                                          john at argv.co.uk
argv[0] limited               (Asterisk implementation & consultancy)
Lambs Lawn Cottage,  Staple Fitzpaine,  Taunton,  TA3 5SL,  UK
v +44 (0) 1460 234068   f +44 (0) 1460 234069   m +44 (0) 7836 576127