[Asterisk-Users] IAX voice distortion with full upload channel /SIP ok

Koopmann, Jan-Peter Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Mon Jan 16 11:53:53 MST 2006

On Samstag, 14. Januar 2006 1:47 tim panton wrote:

> That is weird, you would expect IAX to do better than SIP (bandwidth
> wise)

My point exactly.

> 1) are you sure IAX trunking is actually happening ?

It shows (T) in iax2 show so I am pretty sure. Timestamps are enabled as well.

> 2) what codecs are you using. Are the codecs the same for IAX as
> for sip?

G.711 alaw and yes the same for IAX and SIP.

> 3) is it possible that some of the network hardware is 'sip aware'

I strongly doubt it. Our firewall is but only regarding to opening the correct RTP ports for a SIP call. No traffic shaping is done on that end.

> 4) How many simultaneous calls are you running between the 2
> endpoints?

Happens with one call.

> 5) What happens if you turn trunking off ?

No change.

Kind regards,
  JP