[Asterisk-Users] read .what else to do ?

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Thu Jan 12 09:15:21 MST 2006

Please note that recent IOS has SIP NAT traversal turned on by default.
I believe that it only supports internal UA / external server.
Since you also want the opposite, you should probably turn it off:
no ip nat service sip tcp port 5060
no ip nat service sip udp port 5060
Some IOS versions will even crash on SIP behind NAT.  See
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-January/033718.html

Sorry, I don't know how to forward a range of ports.  To forward
a single port, use something like:
ip nat inside source static udp 192.168.1.2 5060 x.x.x.x 5060 extendable
where x.x.x.x is your public IP.
You can edit rtp.conf to use e.g 10000-10007 (would allow 4 calls) and
then only 8 ip nat statements would be needed for RTP.

You don't say what's failing.  "make calls outside our LAN" sounds like
you are trying to call using a VoIP provider that Asterisk registers
with.  But "your remote SIP phones" is something different; which of
the above are failing?  Are the registrations successful?  Is it just
the RTP that's not working (in which case the called phone will still
ring)?  If not, what error or timeout is reported?

If * verbose and/or debug logs don't show precisely what is going wrong,
use Ethereal (on both sides of the router if necessary) to see what
is happening.

--Stewart