[Asterisk-Users] Re: FXS or VOIP

Jason Stewart jstewart at rtl.org
Thu Jan 12 06:31:48 MST 2006

Hi Jim,

My decision had more to do with the infrastructure of the existing
wiring more than anything else. I really *wanted* to go with voip but
I couldn't justify the extra cost since our office is wired for
analog. I ended up going with the TE410P Quad span T1 card, 2 PRIs and
an adit-600 channel bank for the FXS ports. I really had to do very
little to tune the FXS ports other than setting tx and rx gain on the
channel bank.

We have 5 other branch offices that we are connected to via WAN and we
have * servers at each of those locations, doing voip between those
and also the larger install that I describe above.

So just because you have FXS ports does not mean that you cannot do
voip. There's always services like nufone for long distance that you
can connect * to. For your smaller setup just evaluate what's there
already in terms of network infrastructure then decide what fits best
for both your budget and your growth.

Best Regards,
Jason Stewart